Launched at Collingwood in 1909, the Hamonic became part of the Northern Navigation Division of Canada Steamship Lines in 1913. The Hamonic was a well-appointed passenger ship with many facilities, including a barbershop, music room, ballroom and dining salon with large windows for viewing the passing scenes. Canada Steamship Lines ran 7-day passenger cruises on the Hamonic, from Detroit to Duluth, including a stop at Sarnia.
On July 17, 1945, while docked at Point Edward, the Hamonic caught fire when flames spread from a nearby work shed. A quick-thinking crane operator lifted 50 passengers to safety. Of the 400 passengers and crew the Hamonic carried, one life was lost to the fire.