In 1890, two wooden range lights were built at Corunna. When these two lights were lined up visually, the ship was in the proper channel to safely travel up the St. Clair River around Stag Island.
For most of its working life, kerosene was used for this light. The light keeper was responsible for lighting the kerosene lamp at dusk and putting it out at daybreak, as well as cleaning the chimney of the lamp and keeping daily logs. This was done by one keeper for both the front and rear range lights.
In 1941, use of the rear range light was discontinued. A lighted pole replaced the front light and the former front range became the rear one. The neighbours worked together to save the light, purchasing it to prevent its destruction.
In 1953, the rear range light was restored for use and converted to electricity. It continued its work for another 29 years but in 1982, the Coast Guard decided to replace the light with a taller steel tower because the trees blocked the view of the old light from the water.
Many people cooperated to save the range light yet again. This time, the plan was to move the rear range light to Moore Museum. The Coast Guard agreed to provide materials and labour to install concrete footings at the new site. Moving day was Thursday, August 5, 1982. Neighbours watched and took pictures of the event. Sarnia Cranes Ltd. provided labour and equipment, bringing the light to the museum and placing it in its new location. The 92-year-old guide of ships had reached its retirement home.